HOBY challenges all alumni to put their leadership skills into action through community service. This is our “Leadership for Service Challenge” where we ask students to commit to completing at least 100 hours of service to their communities during the year following their HOBY experience. The hours are logged on our website and recognition is given to those who meet the challenge.
Are you ready to meet the challenge?
Your community service project can be any altruistic service in which you donate your time and energy to improve your community and the lives of others. Be creative in finding volunteer activities that are fun and enjoyable, and also enhance the quality of life for those around you. Find out more about a network of organizations already serving the community that would welcome your help! Once you choose your project and begin your service create your username and password and begin logging your hours.
HOBY encourages you to go beyond just doing community service to leading service projects. For example, you could coordinate a Community Leadership Workshop (CLeW) in your area. Learn more about starting a CLeW.
Recognition and Rewards
Alumni completing 100 hours or more of community service within one year of their program attendance are recognized and rewarded for their service.
You will receive the following awards*:
- A personalized congratulatory letter from HOBY President & CEO Javier LaFianza
- A confirmation letter from HOBY certifying your hours
- A personalized certificate from HOBY declaring your accomplishment
- A congratulatory letter from the President of the United States
*Awards are subject to change.
2012 Alumni Leadership for Service College Scholarships
HOBY will provide three $1,000 college scholarships for the 2012 Alumni Class. To be eligible for consideration, alumni must have completed a minimum of 250 hours of service that made a measurable impact on one community issue or project and have logged these hours into the Leadership for Service online system by July 1, 2013. The application must be submitted by July 31, 2013.
- HOBY Alumni who attended a Leadership Seminar in 2012.
- Have upheld the core values of HOBY by displaying excellence, integrity, diversity, and innovative thinking. Through their service and leadership, they represent an example to their peers of an Outstanding HOBY Ambassador. They have served in their schools, neighborhoods and communities and have made a significant difference in the lives of others.
- Completed a minimum of 250 hours of service that have made a measurable impact on one community issue or project and have logged these hours in the HOBY Leadership for Service online system by July 1, 2013
- All information must be verifiable.
- Letter of reference from an individual who can attest to the impact of the Alumni’s Leadership for Service hours and overall leadership.
- Application form and required materials received by July 31, 2013.